Monday 28 November 2011

How to deal with stress at work effectively?

I firmly believe in practicing teachings from Ancient Indian Scriptures in Managing oneself personally and professionally.
Stress as I have observed is the result of extrovert tendency. People generally tend to look outwards for a sense of worth. We spend our lifetime yearning for appreciation, recognition and encouragement. I have tried to turn it on face, and have benefited from it. As Stephen R Covey said, I tried beginning with the end in mind literally. For a moment, I imagined that this moment was my last moment, and noted my immediate thoughts. I was surprised that none of my professional and personal problems / achievements were in my mind. All that I was thinking of was, if I had nurtured my daughter well enough that she could handle the rest of her life all by herself, had I spent enough time with my family…

And then it dawned on me that I was going after things that really don’t matter to me. I need my job, I need the money, but that was not the be all and end all.  I need to do justice to my job, but what happens beyond that is not my concern.  Which I realized is what our ancient Indian scriptures meant “Perform your duties without any expectation of results” ! How true !Believe me, this simple realization has helped me better focus my energies at work and personal life. It has cleared the clutter in my mind.

Share your experiences and thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment